Here comes the parade! On April 18th, the Reston Historic Trust & Museum will host its inaugural Founder’s Day Float Parade at Lake Anne Plaza to celebrate life in Reston. Not your usual parade, there’s no sitting on the side lines for this event. Each float will be imagined and created by the people who make up the community called Reston.
The Reston Historic Trust & Museum invites everyone in Reston–individuals, families, businesses, groups, schools, and others–to create a small, mobile float inspired by the theme “Reston: Past, Present, Future” and then march in the Founder’s Day opening ceremony. Participants are encouraged to use their imaginations to visualize the theme when creating a float and to use recycled or reused materials.
There is no entry fee, but everyone participating must register. Register at the Reston Historic Trust & Museum or online at https://www.restonmuseum.org/founders-day-float-parade. Parade will begin at 12:00 p.m.
- Floats should be built on a stable, four-wheeled base, such as a kids’ wagon, grocery cart, or beach cart.
- Floats should be no larger than 3 feet wide and 5 feet long.
- Floats should be constructed primarily of cardboard, construction paper, tissue paper, etc. Use of reused, recycled, and/or recyclable materials highly encouraged.
- Floats must not be motorized but may feature mechanical elements (such as lights).
- Floats may not feature sounds systems or projectiles.
- No vulgar or obscene language or imagery.
- Costumes that relate directly to your float design are encouraged.
- You are responsible for removing your float from the plaza by 4 p.m.
- Have fun!
We encourage floats to be related to Reston’s history, creative use of recycled materials, whimsical, and fun.
Questions? Post your question on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/RestonMuseum/
A full schedule for Founder’s Day will be provided closer to the event and will be available at www.restonmuseum.org/foundersday. For more information, please contact the Reston Historic Trust & Museum by phone at 703-709-7700 or by email at email@example.com.
Founder’s Day is presented by the Reston Historic Trust & Museum with support from Reston Community Center and co-sponsored by Public Art Reston. It is hosted by Lake Anne Plaza.
About the Reston Historic Trust & Museum
The Reston Historic Trust & Museum (RHT) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving Reston’s past, informing the present, and influencing the future of Reston. RHT is located at Lake Anne Plaza and is open Monday through Saturday free of charge and conducts educational and public programming, exhibitions, and public events including the Lake Anne Cardboard Boat Regatta, Reston Home Tour, and Founder’s Day. RHT also preserves a collection of archival material and artifacts related to the history of Reston. Programs of the Reston Historic Trust & Museum are supported in part by Reston Community Center.