Memorial Music Festival for Accomplished Musician & Educator Mykle Lyons
Lake Anne & Washington Plaza Merchant Association (LAWPA) in conjunction with Roxplosion & Kalypso’s Sports Tavern announced the artist line up for their 3rd Annual Mykle Lyons Commemorative Concert and Jazz Festival, which will take place on Saturday, September 2nd 2023.
In honor of Mykle Lyons, LAWPA, with the help of Kalypso’s and Roxplosion, have set up a memorial scholarship fund with tax-deductible scholarship donations going to Friends of Music at George Mason to help a deserving jazz student at George Mason University.
Checks can be made out to George Mason Foundation; please write “in memory of Mykle Lyons” in the memo line and mail to GMU-CVPA Development Office, Friends of Music, 4400 University Drive, MS 4C1, Fairfax, VA 22030.
The cultural impact of Reston ripples far beyond its bounds, and no more is this personified than by Reston’s own Mykle Lyons. An accomplished musician, a compassionate philosopher, and an educator generous with his time and talent, we celebrate and honor his contributions to our community with this free music festival, in its 3rd year, a family friendly event featuring acclaimed artists as well as a craft and food market. The performances will take place from 12:00pm to 6:00pm at Lake Anne Plaza in Reston.
Mykle Lyons Commemorative Music Festival Line Up
- Introducing new Reston talent Colin Surabian and the Original Jazz Trio
- GMU Jackson Huang Jazz Trio
- Reston Community Orchestra Gabriela Quintet
- Sabine Wills and the C-street
- Accidental Red
- GMU Charlie Murdock Jazz Trio
The event is hosted by the Lake Anne Washington Plaza Merchant Association (LAWPA) and sponsored by LAWPA, Kalypso’s Sports Tavern, and Roxplosion.
Mykle Lyons Commemorative Concert
Saturday, September 2nd 2023
12:00 pm – 6:00 pm
Lake Anne Plaza (Waterfront)
1609 Washington Plaza
Reston, VA 20190
Rain or Shine
About Friends of Music @ Mason
The Friends of Music at Mason’s mission is to support and build community awareness of George Mason University’s outstanding Reva and Sid Dewberry Family School of Music and to raise scholarship finds for deserving music students. As a Friend of Music, your efforts and contributions will:
- Support specific areas of study through student scholarships and programs-related endowments
- Prepare young artists for exciting careers in music
- Enrich the community with artistic and innovative musicians, scholars, music educators, and ambassadors for the arts.
By contributing to the Friends of Music at Mason in memory of Mykle Lyons, you will be helping ensure his legacy continues with the next generation of musicians. Text GIVE2FOMM to 41444 or scan the QR code to make a donation. You can also learn more and give online at go.gmu.edu/giveFOMM (select Friends of Music Student Scholarship Fund; you’ll see a place to add that your gift is in memoriam going through the prompts) or by calling 703-993-3927.
About Mykle Lyons
Mykle Lyons’ early childhood years were spent in Ocean Springs, Mississippi, where he was consistently exposed to live music from the Gulf Coast and New Orleans proper. After elementary school, the Lyons family moved to Reston, VA.
In college Mr. Lyons studied with Jazz great Ellis Marsalis while attending Virginia Commonwealth University and has performed with such notables as: Wynton, Ellis, Branford, Delfeayo, and Jason Marsalis, Don Braden, Lew Tabacken, Ralph Bowen, Vincent Herring, Wes Anderson, Eric Alexander, Victor Goines and Loston Harris II.
The Mykle Lyons’ Quartet was the featured act at the 1992 & 1996 Presidential Inaugural Gala at the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C.
Mr. Lyons frequently performed for Vice President Al Gore.
Other notable venues include:
- Carnegie Hall, NYC
- Birdland, NYC
- Lincoln Center, NYC
- Gracie Mansion (for Rudolph Gulianni and the Independent Film Festival of NYC)
- Yoshi’s of San Francisco
- Mount Fuji, Japan Jazz Festival, Lake Yamanaka
- Montreal Jazz Festival
- Toronto Jazz Festival
- Glenwood Springs Jazz Festival, Glenwood Springs, CO
- Montreux, Switzerland, Jazz Festival, Lake Geneva
- Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, Washington, D.C.
- Artist in residence at the Bellagio, Las Vegas
- 2301 N Highland Ave, Los Angeles, CA
- “Premonition” -Three for All entitled
- “The Looking Glass”- Rob Holmes
- “Deaux-Oh!” – Acoustic Bass and Saxophone, featuring Rob Holmes
- “Heritage”: featuring all original music and arrangements